Macombs Dam Park
River Ave. to the Harlem River bet. E. 157 St. , W. 161 St. and E. 164 St.
Directions via Google Maps
This park was named for the Macomb family of millers who, in the 19th century, operated a dam and mill on the site. In 1813 Robert Macomb was granted permission by the New York State Legislature to construct a dam across the Harlem River. Macomb's dam was required to operate a lock, keeping navigation open along the river. However, only small boats were able to pass through the lock, severely limiting the river's capacity. By 1838 residents along the riverbank questioned the private usurpation of the public waterway. Led by Lewis G. Morris, the angered citizens chartered a coal barge and paid the crew to break through the dam with axes. Charges were filed against Morris, but the court, declaring Macomb's dam a "public nuisance," prohibited obstruction of the Harlem River by dam or bridge.
In the shadow of Yankee Stadium lies one of the city's best 400m tracks and a multipurpose field.
Directions to Macombs Dam Park
- Celebrating Jackie Robinson’s Legacy At Macombs Dam Park
- Parks Cuts Ribbon on Macombs Dam Park
- Last Section Of Macombs Dam Park Closes To The Public For Redevelopment
Macombs Dam Park Weather