Fidler-Wyckoff House Park
(faux)H Urban Homesteading Workshops: Natural Dyeing
Saturday, August 10, 2013
12:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
This event repeats on the 2nd Saturday of every month between 7/14/2013 and 8/11/2013.
(faux)H is a series of six hands-on workshops held at the Wyckoff farmhouse Museum, exploring traditional farm-based skills: hand sewing, natural dyeing and preservation. Employing dye plants and crops grown on the Wyckoff farm, situated in the middle Brooklyn, (faux)H will be a collaborative experiment in the lost art of learning-by-doing. Join artist, Lisa Sikorski on a journey of learning about the slow process of making by hand and from the earth. Workshops are suitable for participants ages 13 and up.
Natural Dying: Did you know your garden is already growing a wealth of materials that you can use to beautify other things? Come learn how to take the otherwise inedible plants in your garden and dye various fibers. We will use plant materials grown specifically for dying as well as less commonly used dye plants. This workshop will be an exploration of the potential and uses of natural materials.
How to sign up: Participants may sign up for one or all workshops. For more information about the program or to register please email.
(faux)H Workshop Series:
- Hand Sewing & Embroidery: May 11 and June 8, 10am-12:30pm
- Natural Dyeing: July 13 and August 10, 12-3pm
- Preserving the Harvest: September 14 and October 5, 12-3pm
Free | Suggested $5 donation per session.
Directions to Fidler-Wyckoff House Park
Fidler-Wyckoff House Park Weather
- Historic House: Wyckoff House Museum
- Dutch Prime Minister Visits NYC's Oldest Structure--Brooklyn's Wyckoff Farmhouse
- Dutch Prime Minister Visits NYC's Oldest Structure—Brooklyn's Wyckoff Farmhouse