Lyons Square Playground
Aldus St to Bruckner Blvd bet. Bryant Av and Longfellow Av
Directions via Google Maps
Lyons Square, bounded by Bruckner Boulevard, Aldus Street, Longfellow Avenue, and Bryant Avenue, was named for landowner and Civil War veteran James L. Lyons by the Board of Aldermen on April 17, 1928.
Lyons was a charter member of the Bronx Oldtimers Association which was founded in 1911 by the Bronx’s first Borough President, Louis Haffen, for people who had lived in the Bronx for fifty years or more. Lyons’ estate was nearby on Forest Avenue between Home Street and Boston Road. Previously, his estate had belonged to Colonel Richard Hoe, for whom Hoe Avenue was named.
James L. Lyons should not be confused with a prominent 20th Century Bronxite, James J. Lyons, who served twenty-eight years as Borough President from 1934 to 1961.
Directions to Lyons Square Playground
Lyons Square Playground Weather