This playground is located on the north side of East 135th Street between Alexander and Willis Avenues in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx. The site was acquired in 1938 and constructed in 1939. On November 21, 1987 the playground was named for Private Carlos J. Lozada, and rededicated after major capital improvements in 1995.
The Mott Haven neighborhood is named for Jordan L. Mott, who ran an industrial complex, west of Third Avenue. Mott showed early promise as an inventor; at the age of fifteen, he invented a tape weaving machine. He received more than fifty patents, the most important of which was a patent for an anthracite coal burning stove. Mott’s Iron Works cast many of the manhole covers used throughout the Bronx, as well as the wrought-iron bridges in Central Park. Products of Mott’s foundry can be found around the world, from California to Turkey and from Japan to South America.