LaTourette Park & Golf Course
Historic Richmond TownLocation: 441 Clarke Avenue
Phone: (718) 351-1611
Description: Historic Richmond Town, in the heart of Staten Island, is a remarkable living history village and museum complex that encompasses three hundred years of the history and culture of New York City. The Town of Richmond, which began as a modest hamlet in the 1690s, became Staten Island's county seat of government in 1728. After Staten Island was incorporated into the City of New York in 1898, its government offices were moved to the town of St. George, and Richmond gradually became a quiet residential area. In 1935, the Staten Island Historical Society first opened New York City's only historic village. The Society acquired the 1848 County Clerk's office and established the Historical Museum. In 1939, the Society acquired and restored the Voorlezer's House (circa 1695), the nation's oldest building that served as a schoolhouse. Today, Richmond Town's 100 acres include 28 historic buildings dating from the late 17th to the early 20th centuries, half of which stand on their original locations. Historic Richmond Town is a joint project of the Staten Island Historical Society, a not-for-profit cultural organization, and the City of New York, which owns the park land and buildings and supports part of its operations with public funds provided through the Department of Cultural Affairs.
Accessible Notes: limited