Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
Kingsbridge Ter bet. Perot St and Summilt P
Directions via Google Maps
This community center, located at Summit Place and Kingsbridge Terrace, was assigned to Parks on September 18, 1979, by the Division of Real Property. Prior to its role as a community center, the two-story brick building was used by the New York City Police Department as the 50th Precinct House. The building was designed in 1900 by architects Arthur J. Horgan and Vincent J. Slattery, and completed in 1902.
The center, along with the surrounding Kingsbridge Heights neighborhood, is named after the historic King’s Bridge that once spanned Spuyten Duyvil Creek at what is now West 230th Street and Kingsbridge Avenue. Originally constructed in 1639 as a toll bridge by local landowner Vredryck Flypson, King’s Bridge was the first bridge to connect Manhattan with the mainland, and was used extensively by both the American and British forces during the Revolutionary War. In 1916, Spuyten Duyvil Creek was filled in and the bridge was torn down.
Directions to Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
Kingsbridge Heights Community Center Weather