Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
Rockaway! Exhibit from MoMA PS1: The Surf Club
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
12:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
This event repeats every weekday between 6/29/2014 and 9/1/2014.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Rockaway!, a free public arts festival sponsored by the Jamaica Bay-Rockaway Parks Conservancy (JBRPC) to celebrate the reopening of Fort Tilden and recognize the ongoing recovery of the Rockaway peninsula, opens June 29 and continues through September 1, 2014. Invited by the Rockaway Artists Alliance (RAA), an association of artists based in and around the Rockaways, and the JBRPC, MoMA PS1 has assisted and supported the conception of this festival.
One component of the festival is a group exhibition organized in collaboration with the Honolulu Biennial on the grounds of the newly restored Rockaway Beach Surf Club on Beach 87th Street in Rockaway Beach. Following Hurricane Sandy, the Surf Club was the one of the largest relief centers on the peninsula; their organization facilitated and directed over 5,000 volunteers, with major contributions from MoMA PS1. The exhibition celebrates the efforts of the Rockaway community of surfers and artists in rebuilding their neighborhood.
For details and times of the rest of the exhibit, please visit the Rockaway! website.
Directions to Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways Weather
- Major Habitat Restoration And Trail Development Project Gets Underway This Fall In Marine Park
- De Blasio Administration Launches Community Parks Initiative To Build More Inclusive And Equitable Park System
- More Than 30,000 New Yorkers Celebrate The Outdoors At Tenth Anniversary Of Adventures NYC
- Nature's Workshop: Weather Exploration and Monitoring
- New York Road Runners Open Run: Run for Life at Marine Park
- Kids Week Brooklyn: Maps and Compasses
- Kids Week Brooklyn: Shelter Building
- Kids Week Brooklyn: Nature Games
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Cricket Fields
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Nature Centers
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Roller Hockey
- Skate Parks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in
Beach 9 Playground
Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk
Rockaway Beach Boardwalk
Rockaway Community Park
Spring Creek Park