Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
Protect Your Beach: Plant Beach Grass With NYC Parks
Saturday, April 26, 2014
10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Registration is full for this event.
Join NYC Parks in protecting and stabilizing new dunes in Rockaway. Dunes are essential for protection against damaging coastal storms. Beach grass helps to increase the size of dunes by trapping windblown sand and its fibrous root system strengthens dunes by keeping sand in place.
Volunteers will plant beach grass along the crest of the dune from Beach 109th to Beach 116th Streets. Please dress in warm, comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes, and bring a reusable water bottle and snacks. There will be no place to store personal items.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. This event is rain or shine. Planting dates are subject to change. Please check the website the day of the event to confirm.
NYC Parks and the Natural Areas Conservancy would like to thank the following partners and donors for supporting New York City's efforts to build and stabilize dunes: Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City, Bloomberg Philanthropies, Fund for the City of New York, Leon Levy Foundation, NYC Service, Partnerships for Parks, and Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation.
Directions to Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways Weather
- Major Habitat Restoration And Trail Development Project Gets Underway This Fall In Marine Park
- De Blasio Administration Launches Community Parks Initiative To Build More Inclusive And Equitable Park System
- More Than 30,000 New Yorkers Celebrate The Outdoors At Tenth Anniversary Of Adventures NYC
- Nature's Workshop: Weather Exploration and Monitoring
- New York Road Runners Open Run: Run for Life at Marine Park
- Kids Week Brooklyn: Maps and Compasses
- Kids Week Brooklyn: Shelter Building
- Kids Week Brooklyn: Nature Games
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Cricket Fields
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Nature Centers
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Roller Hockey
- Skate Parks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in
Beach 9 Playground
Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk
Rockaway Beach Boardwalk
Rockaway Community Park
Spring Creek Park