Inwood Hill Park
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
6:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
This event repeats every week on Wednesday between 6/19/2013 and 8/21/2013.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Capoeira is a unique Brazilian art form that has evolved over centuries into an exciting combination of martial arts, dance, music, and acrobatics. Capoeira was developed in Brazil, but its history extends to Africa and tribes from Angola. Slaves living on Brazilian Plantations who weren’t allowed to openly practice traditional forms of self-defense developed an ingenious method of disguising their training by combining it with dance-like movements, singing, and the rhythms of primitive instruments. Some of capoeira’s benefits include strength, flexibility, stamina, overall fitness and confidence. Benefits of capoeira for kids include promoting social interaction and sense of belonging, building confidence, discipline and self esteem, promoting a healthy lifestyle so children become active, and healthy, and develop cultural awareness and tolerance. Wear comfortable clothing.
Directions to Inwood Hill Park
Know Before You Go
Inwood Hill Nature Center
Due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, this facility is closed until further notice.
Inwood Hill Park Weather
- A Lenape Meal At Inwood Hill Park
- Urban Park Rangers Present An Experience To Travel Back In Time And Live Off The Land
- Born To Be Wildlife: New Yorkers Learn About Their Furry And Feathered Friends At Urban Wildlife Appreciation Day
- MillionTreesNYC Spring Stewardship Day at Inwood Hill Park
- Nature Exploration Hike: Views of Inwood (Moderate)
- Urban Wildlife Appreciation Day
- Ranger's Choice: Ethnobotany and Native Herbs Workshop
- Basic Canoeing
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Nature Centers
- Roller Hockey
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in
Inwood Hill Park