Herald Square - the New York Herald
This park was named for the newspaper that was once published directly to its north. The City of New York acquired the area in 1846 as part of the opening of Bloomingdale Road (now Broadway). By the early 20th century, many printers and publishers had located in the area. The New York Herald, founded by James Gordon Bennett in 1835, was best known for its sensational coverage of scandal and crime, and for its enormous circulation. Herald Square’s centerpiece - a monument to Bennett and his son - houses a sculpture and clock that formerly topped the Herald building. The bronze figures include Minerva, the goddess of wisdom and invention, and two bell-ringing blacksmiths. The clock and figures were installed on the monument in 1940, and blacksmiths “Stuff and Guff” or “Gog and Magog” have chimed the hours ever since.
Directions to Herald Square
Herald Square Weather
- Herald Square
- Herald Square - the New York Herald