Grove Hill Playground, bounded by Eagle and Cauldwell Avenues on 158th Street, lies in a an area that was once a neighborhood referred to as Grove Hill.
Eagle Avenue was once comprised of hilly, rocky terrain, and was included as part of the property purchased from the powerful Morris family by the area’s first developers, William Carr and Henry Purdy in 1847. By the late 19th century, however, the land had been sold to area breweries. Established in 1865, the Hupfel Brewery quickly developed into a successful local family business. When Prohibition went into effect during the 1920s, the Hupfels chose not to enter the bootlegging market as some of their competitors did, instead they converted their brewery into a mushroom farm.