This statue by Henry Baerer (1837 – 1908) honors Brooklynite and Civil War hero Brigadier General Edward Fowler (1828 – 1896). Fowler was born in Manhattan, and his family moved to Brooklyn when he was still an infant. He studied to be an accountant at Brooklyn Gaslight before a youthful military career; by 18 he was a first sergeant. In 1847, Fowler – then a lieutenant – began a long association with the 14th Regiment of the New York State National Guard. The regiment was largely comprised of Brooklyn tradesmen, businessmen or members of the Brooklyn Fifth Fire Brigade. In 1852, then-Lieutenant Colonel Fowler married Annie Cook at the Methodist church on Hanson Place, Fort Greene; they would have three children — Sara Emma (1853), Robert (1854) and William (1869).