Grandview Ave., at Continental Pl.
Staten Island, 10303
Directions via Google Maps
Grandview Playground is named after adjacent Grandview Avenue. It was originally known as the Mariners Harbor Houses Playground, for the adjacent housing project. Both the playground and the housing complex draw their names from the neighborhood of Mariners Harbor in northwestern Staten Island.
Mariners Harbor was once synonymous with the oyster industry on Staten Island. Before the turn of the 20th century and the subsequent pollution of the harbor, the community had a thriving oyster trade (both fishing and harvesting) and a successful ship building and repair industry in the waters of the Kill van Kull.
Kill van Kull borders Mariners Harbor to the north. It is a tidal straight, approximately three miles in length, and one thousand feet wide, which separates New Jersey and Staten Island. It is one of the most bustling waterways in New York Harbor, and it connects Newark Bay with Upper New York Bay. The western border of Mariners Harbor is the Goethals Bridge, a steel arch cantilevered bridge that crosses from Staten Island’s Howland Hook to Elizabeth, New Jersey. The eastern boundary of Mariners Harbor is the Dr. Martin Luther King Expressway, and to the south is Forest Avenue.
The City acquired this property, located along Grandview Avenue and Continental Place, on January 30, 1952. The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) leased the property to Parks on June 27, 1957. The official jurisdiction of this playground remains with the NYCHA, but it is maintained and operated by Parks. Commissioner Stern named this property for the adjacent avenue in 1985.
Between 1996 and 1997, Mayor Giuliani contributed over $166,850 for renovations, which included the installation of safety surfacing and colorful play units, reconstruction of the park’s chain-link fencing and guard rails, and general site work.