Back to Monuments List
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch
Click image for larger view
- Sculptor: Philip Martiny (spandrel figures)
- Architect: John Hemingway Duncan
- Description: Triumphal arch; bas-relief figures in spandrels on south face; seal of city of Brooklyn and seal of New York state in spanrels on north face; sixteen medallions, four on each of the pier stages at south and north faces
- Materials: Granite
- Dimensions: Total h 80' x w 80' x d 50'; archway h 50' x w 35'
- Cast: 1892
- Dedicated: October 21, 1892
- Donor: City of Brooklyn: tax levy and bond issues
- Inscription: (tablet held by spandrel figure on south side, proper left): CON / STI / TU / TION
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 304-2365