Back to Monuments List
Private David W. Gentle Memorial Flagstaff
Click image for larger view
- Location: East 139th Street, Morris Avenue, and Third Avenue
- Description: Flagstaff set in a hexagonal base with a sloped tablet beside it
- Materials: Base--concrete; Tablet--granite (rough cut)
- Dimensions: Tablet H: 12" W: 28" D: 32"
- Cast: 1950
- Dedicated: 1950
- Donor: D.W. Gentle Post No. 618, American Legion
- Inscription: IN MEMORY / OF / PVT. DAVID W. GENTLE / 107TH INF. U.S. ARMY / BORN OCT. 28, 1895 / KILLED IN ACTION / OCT. 14, 1918 / ERECTED BY / DAVID W. GENTLE POSTNO. 618 / AMERICAN LEGION / 1950 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143