This park, situated on a very steep hill rising from Broadway to Wadsworth Terrace, between West 189th and West 190th Streets, honors Gertie Amelia Gorman (1859-1920), a real estate investor. It was named at the request of her daughter, Gertie Emily Webb, whose husband, Charles Webb, carried out his wife’s wishes after her death. Webb, the chairman of a prestigious real estate company, donated $25,000 on June 28, 1929 towards the construction of the park and $50,000 to establish a trust fund for its maintenance. The City of New York acquired this property in 1929 as a gift from Charles Webb and the Denton Realty Corporation. Parks acquired jurisdiction over the property the following year.