Glenwood Playground, located at the intersection of Ralph Avenue and Farragut Road, is named for nearby Glenwood Road. Originally named Avenue G, Glenwood Road was constructed in 1902 as part of the Brooklyn grid system. A local law of 1926 renamed the street with reference to the wooded land that it traversed.
In 1869, the New York State legislature appointed the supervisors of the towns of Flatbush, Flatlands, Gravesend, New Lots, and New Utrecht to the positions of commissioners. Their duty was to design a street system that extended the layout of the City of Brooklyn, then a small urban area directly across the East River from New York City. The State rejected all but the most stringently conforming grid plans, hoping to ensure that the five towns would meld seamlessly into the City of Brooklyn when and if consolidation occurred.
Directions to Glenwood Playground
Glenwood Playground Weather