Back to Monuments List
Frederick Johnson Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: 150th St. and 7th Ave.
- Description: Stele with incised letters
- Materials: Barre granite
- Dimensions: H: 3'4" W: 1'8" D: 7 ½"
- Dedicated: October 23, 1971
- Fabricator: Keystone Monument Co.
- Donor: Frederick Johnson Memorial Committee
- Inscription: FREDERICK JOHNSON PARK / DEDICATED TO / THE MEMORY OF / FREDERICK
JOHNSON / TENNIS PLAYER COACH / AND CITIZEN OF THE / HARLEM
COMMUNITY / A TESTAMENT TO HIS / COMMITMENT IS HIS / FOREMOST PUPIL
MISS ALTHEA GIBSON / UNITED STATES AND WIMBLEDON TENNIS / CHAMPION/
/(SIGNATURE): FREDERICK JOHNSON / JAN. 9, 1891N.Y. / MAY 15, 1963
BACK: FREDERICK JOHNSON PARK / COMMITTEE / VICTOR A. COLLYMORE/
THEODOSIA G. MAPLES / RUOBERT W. PUGH / DEDICATED OCTOBER 23, 1971/
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143