Fort Tryon Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Description: Stele with sculptured decorations
- Materials: Bronze, granite (polished)
- Dimensions: H: 12' W: 6'6" D: 2'
- Dedicated: September 29, 1904
- Foundry: J & R Lamb Co.
- Donor: C.K. G. Billings and the American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society
- Inscription: 1776 --- HUDSON FULTON CELBRATION COMMISSION --- 1909 / ON THIS HILL-TOP STOOD FORT TRYON / THE NORTHERN OUT-WORK OF / FORT WASHINGTON. / ITS GALLLANT DEFENSE AGAINST / THE HESSIAN TROOPS / BY / THE MARYLAND AND VIRGINIA REGIMENT/ 16 NOVEMBER 1776 / WAS SHARED BY / MARGARET CORBIN / THE FIRST AMERICAN WOMAN / TO TAKE A SOLDIER'S PART / IN THE WAR FOR LIBERTY / --- / ERECTED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF / THE AMERICAN SCENIC AND HISTORIC / PRESERVATION SOCIETY / THROUGH THE GENEROSITY OF / C.K.G. BILLINGS /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143