Clark Street Park (Fort Stirling)
Click image for larger view
- Sculptor: Albert Winert
- Description: Tablet on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 17 ½" W: 26¾"
- Dedicated: 1925
- Donor: Gift of Fort Greene Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF FORT STIRLING. / ON THIS BLUFF IN THE SPRING OF 1776 IT FORMED / ONE OF A CHAIN OF REDOUBTS BUILT IN BROOKLYN / OPPOSITE NEW YORK. THIS WORK FELL INTO THE HANDS OF / THE BRITISH DURING THE BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND AND / WAS THEREAFTER GARRISONED BY THE HESSIAN TROOPS / UNTIL VICTORY BY THE AMERICAN ARMY LED TO THE / EVACUATION OF NEW YORK NOVEMBER 25TH 1783. / ERECTED BY FORT GREENE CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 1924 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143