NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Forest Park

Jayne Carlson Triangle

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

This triangle is named in honor of Jayne Carlson (1946-2000), a local resident of Richmond Hill who played an active role in many aspects of the community.

Carlson lived in Richmond Hill for almost her entire life, attending the area public schools and graduating from Richmond Hill High School. From 1984 to 1994, she worked in Richmond Hill High School as an aide and supervisor in the computer lab. Over the last 20 years of her life, she served as Vice-President of the Richmond Hill Block Association and helped their annual Park Fair grow from 250 attendees in its first year to over 50,000 in recent years. Carlson was also instrumental in creating the annual Gift to Forest Park that the Richmond Hill Block Association sponsors each year. When Parks needed additional funding for the Schaefer Memorial in Forest Park, Carlson made sure that Park Fair funds were made available to help finish the project. From 1973 to 1982, Carlson sat on the executive board of the P.T.A. of P.S. 66, where her children attended. She was also a member of the Parents Association at Archbishop Molloy High School. Carlson founded the Coalition to Save Engine 294 in 1975, and again in 1990 when the local firehouse was closed down.

As vast as Carlson’s contributions to her local community were, she also worked on issues that affected the city as a whole. She was active in several organizations associated with the Fire Department of New York City, where her husband Howard Carlson, Chief of Battalion 51 in Richmond Hill, worked for 32 years. She was an active volunteer with the New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports the New York Firefighters Burn Center located at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on York Avenue and 70th Street in Manhattan. The Foundation not only raises money for the Burn Center, but also provides much-needed support to injured firemen and their families. As a member of the New York Fire Department Anchor Club, Carlson visited patients throughout the metropolitan area. Jayne Carlson died in 2000, after a 10-year illness. In addition to her husband Howard, she left behind two children, William Carlson and Catherine Scutellaro.

Jayne Carlson Triangle lies adjacent to Jackson Pond Playground, at Myrtle Avenue and Park Lane South. The parcel was acquired by the City of Brooklyn between 1895 and 1898, and after consolidation of the five boroughs in 1898 became property of the City of New York. The playground is named for Jarvis Jackson, former Park Superintendent of Forest Park. On the hill north of what is now Myrtle Avenue and 108th Street, there stood a mansion, owned by Mayor Abram Hewitt (1822-1903) and by a dry goods merchant named Alexander Field. Later Jackson and other Parks’ officials occupied the mansion until 1941 when it was torn down to make way for a playground. Today the triangle is planted with grass, trees, and a small flowerbed, all of which serve as a lasting tribute to Jayne Carlson.

Directions to Forest Park

Forest Park Weather

  • Thu
    Breezy
    61°F
  • Fri
    Partly Sunny
    62°F
  • Sat
    Chance Showers
    66°F
  • Sun
    Mostly Sunny
    61°F

7-day forecast

Was this information helpful?