Father Edward J. Giorgio (1909-1946) is the namesake of this Williamsburg triangle, located at the intersection of Jackson and Lorimer Streets and Meeker Avenue. Ordained in 1935, Father Giorgio was the cherished pastor and spiritual leader of our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church on North Eighth Street from 1935 until 1943. He is remembered today for his work with the youth of Williamsburg, successfully encouraging many of them to attend Mass weekly and to join the award-winning Mt. Carmel Cadet Corps, a marching band which he founded shortly after his arrival.
Father Giorgio was drafted as a chaplain into the United States Army in 1943, and served in that capacity until 1946. While in Europe, he sustained an injury to his leg that required amputation. After returning home to his parish, Father Giorgio died of blood poisoning at Ft. Hamilton Army Hospital on January 13, 1946, at the age of thirty-six. He was buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery.
Directions to Father Giorgio Triangle
Father Giorgio Triangle Weather