The name of this park combines the names of the adjacent neighborhoods in northwestern Queens – Elmhurst and Jackson Heights.
Jackson Heights was primarily farmland until the opening of the Queensboro Bridge in 1909 brought a population boom. The area takes its name from John C. Jackson (1809-1889), the former President of the Hunter’s Point, Newtown and Flushing Turnpike Company. In the early 1860s, the company built Jackson Avenue, which originally ran through the entire neighborhood. Part of Jackson Avenue was renamed Northern Boulevard on April 22, 1922 by local law.