NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Electric Playground

164 St. bet. 65 Ave. and 67 Ave.

Queens

Directions via Google Maps

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

Electric Playground takes its name from Electchester Homes, a housing development opened from 1951 to 1954 through the efforts of Harry Van Arsdale (1903-1986), head of Local 3 of the Brotherhood of Electric Workers. The 38-building community was built in response to the housing shortage faced by city residents after World War II. Electchester homes rest on the former grounds of the 136-acre Pomonok Country Club, whose 300 members voted to disband in 1949. The members of the union each contributed $100 towards the Electchester’s construction, with the union matching the amount raised. The Brotherhood of Electrical Workers also donated land on the grounds for the construction of P.S. 200 and Electric Playground.

Read More

Facilities

Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in
Electric Playground

Park Information

Directions to Electric Playground

  • Electric Playground
  • Electric Playground
  • Electric Playground

Electric Playground Weather

  • Mon
    Sunny
    62°F
  • Tue
    Chance Showers
    66°F
  • Wed
    Slight Chc Showers
    62°F
  • Thu
    Sunny
    62°F

7-day forecast

Was this information helpful?