Electric Playground takes its name from Electchester Homes, a housing development opened from 1951 to 1954 through the efforts of Harry Van Arsdale (1903-1986), head of Local 3 of the Brotherhood of Electric Workers. The 38-building community was built in response to the housing shortage faced by city residents after World War II. Electchester homes rest on the former grounds of the 136-acre Pomonok Country Club, whose 300 members voted to disband in 1949. The members of the union each contributed $100 towards the Electchester’s construction, with the union matching the amount raised. The Brotherhood of Electrical Workers also donated land on the grounds for the construction of P.S. 200 and Electric Playground.