East River Park
The Daily Plant : Thursday, August 17, 2000
PARKS, MIKE PIAZZA AND CLARITIN GO TO BAT FOR CITY YOUTH
Commissioner Henry J. (StarQuest) Stern and Adrian (A-Train) Benepe joined NY Mets Catcher Mike Piazza, Claritin's Senior Product Manager Manny Rodriguez, and Senior Vice President Kurt Aschermann of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America in the groundbreaking for ballfield #6 in East River Park.
Ballfield #6 in East River Park is set to be renovated with a $70,000 donation from Claritin. This donation is part of Claritin's "Step Up To The Plate" program, which is securing the future of youth baseball by renovating ballfields in nine cities around the country, including Atlanta, Detroit and Dallas, for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. They hosted this event with the help of Major League Baseball and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. The goal of the program is to help minimize barriers such as allergies and to improve fields so that children can experience baseball firsthand.
People across the country can "Step Up to the Plate" by logging onto www.claritin.com or by calling (800)784-9MLB. Each person that registers will generate a dollar donation from Claritin to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, up to $500,000. Each person also has a chance to win a trip to the 2000 World Series.
East River Park is 57.5 acres and is home to tennis courts, a track and field, softball fields, basketball courts and eight ballfields. It is a true resource to the lower east side community. Ballfield #6 is the latest renovation in East River Park. Recent renovations includes a sitting area south of the Williamsburg Bridge, where trees are being planted, walkways repaved, lawns installed, and fields refurbished.
THIRTEEN YEARS AGO IN THE PLANT
Thursday, August 20, 1987
ARGENTINE COMPOSER ASTOR PIAZZOLLA BRINGS NUEVO TANGO TO SUMMERSTAGE
Legendary composer Astor Piazzolla will bring "nuevo tango"-a hybrid of classical Argentine and other Latin American musical styles-to Central Park's SummerStage at the Bandshell, located mid-park at 72nd Street. SummerStage is directed by Joe Killian. The 66-year old musician is best known as a musical rebel who in the late '50s transformed the tango-Argentina's unofficial anthem. "New Tango" proved controversial and Piazzolla found himself ostracized from Argentina's conservative music scene. He migrated to New York in the early 1960s.
QUOTATION FOR THE DAY
Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal.
George F. Will (b. 1941)
Directions to East River Park
East River Park Weather
- New York Junior League Pitches In On New Improvements To East River Park
- 20,000 Trees Planted in New York City on Hands On New York Day
- Mayor Bloomberg & City Parks Foundation Announce New Catalyst Parks That Will Receive Targeted Influx Of Public And Private Investment
- New York Euripides Summer Festival 2014 Presents Andromache
- SummerStage Presents: Típica 73 with guest: Adalberto Santiago / Williamsburg Salsa Orchestra
- SummerStage Presents: Mobile Mondays LIVE - The Salsoul Edition featuring Joe Bataan / First Choice / Double Exposure / Instant Funk / Ladies of Skyy / Carol Williams
- SummerStage Presents: Mykki Blanco in association with MeanRed
- SummerStage Presents: Spectrum Dance Theater / Master Class: Germaul Barnes
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Running Tracks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in
East River Park