Built by William Dyckman in approximately 1784, this farmhouse was once the center of a thriving farm more than 250 acres in size. Dyckman Farmhouse, along with the smokehouse and reconstructed “Hessian Hut,” has been a public museum since 1916.
Jan Dyckman arrived in New Amsterdam in the 1660s and began acquiring land in northern Manhattan. At the time of the American Revolution, Jan's grandson William had inherited the Dyckman estate and the family homestead stood near present-day 210th Street and the Harlem River. During the British occupation of Manhattan (1776-83), William Dyckman and his wife Mary fled their home and sought refuge in upstate New York.
Please join the Dyckman Farmhouse to help keep our grounds looking beautiful.