NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Duane Park

Duane Park Plaques map_it

  • Location: Hudson Street entrance
  • Description: Two plaques
  • Materials: Bronze
  • Dimensions: Each plaque H: 1'8" W: 1'9"
  • Cast: 2000
  • Dedicated: August 20, 2000
  • Fabricator: Metal Arts
  • Inscription: (proper left plaque):
    DUANE PARK / (space) / DESIGN / (space) / ORIGINALLY AN OPEN COMMONS, / THE PARK WAS LATER ENCLOSED BY AN IRON FENCE. / BY 1870 IT HAD BEEN ENLARGED AND LANDSCAPED / WITH TREES, LAWN AND SHRUBS ACCORDING TO A DESIGN / BY PARKS CHIEF ENGINEER MONTGOMERY A. KELLOGG / AND CHIEF GARDENER IGNATZ A. PILAT. / (space) / IN 1887, AS PART OF A CITYWIDE EFFORT TO / IMPROVE PUBLIC ACCESS TO ENCLOSED PARK LANDS, PARKS / SUPERINTENDENT SAMUEL PARSONS JR. AND LANDSCAPE / ARCHITECT CALVERT VAUX DESIGNED A PLAN WITH / PATHS CURVING IN FROM EACH SURROUNDING STREET. / (space) / IN 1940 CHIEF CONSULTANT LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT / GILMORE D. CLARK AND PARKS LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT / JANET PATT REDESIGNED THE PARK IN A / FORMAL BEAUX-ARTS STYLE, AND A CENTRAL FLAGPOLE / INSCRIPED WITH DUANE PARK'S HISTORY WAS ADDED. / (space) / THE 1999 PLAN, BY LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT SIGNE NIELSEN, / REPLACED PAVED AREAS WITH PLANTING TO EVOKE / THE MORE PASTORAL 1887 DESIGN OF THE PARK. /

    (proper right plaque):
    DUANE PARK / (space) / ORIGINS / (space) / DUANE PARK WAS THE FIRST OPEN SPACE ACQUIRED / BY THE CITY OF NEW YORK SPECIFICALLY FOR USE AS / A PUBLIC PARK. IT IS LOCATED ON DUANE STREET, / WHICH WAS NAMED FOR JAMES DUANE, NEW YORK'S FIRST / MAYOR (1784-89) AFTER THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. / (space) / THE PARK IS THE LAST REMNANT OF GREENSWARD OF THE / ANNETJE JANS FARM GRANTED IN 1636 BY GOVERNOR / WOUTER VAN TWILLER TO ROELOFF AND ANNETJE JANS. / AFTER THE DEATH OF ROELOFF JANS, HIS WIDOW MARRIED THE / REVEREND EVERARDUS BOGARDUS, SECOND MINISTER OF THE / DUTCH CHURCH OF NEW AMSTERDAM, AND THE FARM BECAME / KNOWN AS THE DOMINIE'S BOUWERY, OR THE MINISTER'S FARM. / (space) / IT WAS SOLD IN 1670 TO THE ENGLISH GOVERNOR, / SIR FRANCIS LOVELACE, BUT WAS LATER CONFISCATED BY / THE DUKE OF YORK AND DEEDED IN 1705 TO TRINITY CHURCH. / (space) / THIS TRIANGLE WAS PURCHASED FROM TRINITY CHURCH / BY THE CITY OF NEW YORK IN 1797 FOR THE SUM OF / FIVE DOLLARS, TO BE USED AS A PARK FOR THE PUBLIC. /

Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.

For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143

Park Information

Directions to Duane Park

Duane Park Weather

  • Wed
    Rain
    62°F
  • Thu
    Rain Likely
    57°F
  • Fri
    Slight Chc Rain
    63°F
  • Sat
    Sunny
    65°F

7-day forecast

Facilities

Was this information helpful?