This triangular site, at the intersection of Cooper Avenue, Cypress Hills Street, and 65th Place, was named for John Wesley Drumm (1862-1930) on April 19, 1932 by the Board of Aldermen.
Drumm was a pioneering Queens educator who broadened the knowledge and horizons of generations of neighborhood children. His 37-year career as a principal in Queens public schools began in 1893 at the Glendale Union Free School #13, located in what was then part of Newtown. After the five boroughs of New York City were incorporated in 1898, the school was renamed Public School 67 with Drumm remaining as its principal until 1915. From 1915 to 1929 Drumm presided over Public School 91 on Central Avenue and 69th Street.