Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: Eastern Pkwy, Washington to Classon Aves
- Sculptor: Ogundipe Fayomi (AKA Claude Audrey)
- Architect: DPR
- Description: Bust (life size) recessed in pyramidal monument, two plaques with reliefs
- Materials: Missouri red granite (polished); bronze
- Dimensions: H: 9' W: 5'6" at base
- Cast: ca. 1994
- Dedicated: June 14, 1994
- Fabricator: Anchor Casting, Milton Osborne, bust and plaques; A. Ottavino Corp., pedestal
- Donor: Percent for Art, New York City
- Inscription: Center:
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF / DR. RONALD MCNAIR / BORN OCTOBER 21, 1950 / LAKE CITY SOUTH CAROLINA / DIED JANUARY 28, 1986 / ABOARD THE SPACE / SHUTTLE CHALLENGER / PHYSICIST, ASTRONAUT / TEACHER MUSICIAN ATHLETE / "MY WISH IS THAT WE / WOULD ALLOW THIS PLANET / TO BE THE / BEAUTIFUL OASIS THAT SHE / IS, AND ALLOW / OURSELVES TO LIVE MORE / IN THE PEACE THAT / SHE GENERATES."
"TRULY / THERE IS NO MORE / BEAUTIFUL SIGHT / THAN TO SEE / THE EARTH / FROM A SPACE BEYOND."
"THE SATISFYING / THING ABOUT / PHYSICS ITSELF IS THE / FEELING OF HAVING / UNDERSTOOD AND / UNLOCKED SOMETHING / HERETOFORE / UNKNOWN" / "DEFY AND SIMPLY IGNORE / ANY OF THE INEVITABLE / OBSTACLES THAT WILL / IMPEDE THE PURSUIT OF / YOUR GOAL."
On Proper Right Plaque:
SCULPTOR OGUNDIPE FAYOMI / DR. RONALD MCNAIR MONUMENT / MATERIAL: BRONZE & GRANITE / COLLECTION OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / COMMISSIONED BY / DEPARTMENT OF CULTURAL AFFAIRS / PERCENT FOR ART PROGRAMS / SPONSORED BY / DEPARTMENT OF PARKS & RECREATION / ACCESSION NUMBER: PFA 94.1
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143