Douglaston Park Golf Course
61 Ave. bet. Marathon Pkwy., Commonwealth Blvd. and 242 St.
Directions via Google Maps
Bounded by 61st Avenue, Commonwealth Boulevard, and 72nd Avenue, Douglaston Park lies on the site of the former North Hills Country Club Golf Course. In 1927, a group of members from the Belleclaire Country Club, located in Bayside, founded the North Hills Golf Club. The group selected this site in the Douglaston neighborhood for its rolling and scenic terrain. A father and son team of landscape architects, Willie Tucker Sr. and Jr., laid the 18-hole course, which opened on Labor Day 1927. The course featured a elegant Spanish Mission style clubhouse, which many consider to be architect Clifford C. Wendehack's finest work. Throughout the late 1920s and early 1930s, the course hosted many amateur tournaments. During the Depression, North Hills failed to make a profit and was eventually repossessed by their bank. Following World War II, the members repurchased the property from the bank. During the 1960s, though, the club relocated to Manhasset.