Sergeant Salvatore F. D’Onofrio died on June 24, 1944, while serving in France during World War II. Two days prior to his death, D’Onofrio’s platoon was trapped by enemy sniper and machine gun fire. In order to allow them an escape, D’Onofrio risked his life by engaging the snipers and shooting at them. With the enemy distracted, his men were able to withdraw to safety. However, D’Onofrio sustained serious injuries that later resulted in his death. For his courage and devotion to duty, D’Onofrio was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. In addition, the Williamsbridge Post of the American Legion sponsored an act to rename this site D’Onofrio Square. On May 10, 1948, Mayor William O’Dwyer (1890-1964) signed Local Law 31, which made the new name official.