This triangle honors the beloved Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team, the only major league team ever named for a borough instead of a city or state. The Dodgers moved to Los Angeles in 1957, but they are warmly remembered as a symbol of community and bygone days.
The Brooklyn team joined the National League in 1890 under the management of William “Gunner” McGunnigle. Originally christened the “Trolley Dodgers,” the name was soon shortened to just “Dodgers,” but the myriad of nicknames attached to the team were anything but plain. With seven team members newly married in 1888, new fans dubbed their heroes “the Bridegrooms.” In their time, the Dodgers were also popularly known as “Ward’s Wonders,” “Superbas,” “Robins,” “Daffiness Boys,” “Flock,” and “de Bums.” In their rookie year the Dodgers won the championship with an 86-43 record.