DeLury Square, completed in 2010, is a link in the chain of the Fulton Street Corridor, in the center of the commercial and residential hub of Lower Manhattan. The plaza is named for John DeLury Sr., who founded Local 831 of the Uniformed Sanitationmen’s Association in 1956 and served as its president until 1978, and replaces the former John DeLury Sr. Plaza. It was created by realigning the intersection, removing a dangerous turning lane and merging this reclaimed streetspace with property acquired from the Southbridge Towers Co-op.
Today, the 8,850-square-foot park includes a display fountain, which provides a visual focal point while helping to mask noise from the adjacent streets. The existing large trees are complemented by new trees and plantings, arranged to provide a lush, green landscape. New benches with a simple and graceful style that match the fountain accommodate those wishing to rest within the park. A new drainage system and a drinking fountain are included, and a steel perimeter fence, entrance gates and new lighting provide added security to the park.
DeLury Square Weather