Big Apple Circus
Thursday, June 6, 2013
11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
This event repeats every day between 6/5/2013 and 6/7/2013.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
Welcome to the Big Apple Circus LEGENDARIUM, where you will experience the nostalgic thrills of bygone Big Tops and get a first–hand view of Beauties, Daredevils, and Clowns from another era! At our All-New 35th Anniversary season production, no seat is more than 50 feet from the Globe’s Most Spectacular Circus Performers! The Big Apple Circus presents Dream Big in its annual engagement at Cunningham Park in Queens from Sunday, May 19th through Sunday, June 16th.
Travel back to when circus traditions were born and witness incredible acts that would have had the villagers chattering for days! The courageous mid-air flips and catches of a man on the trapeze! A captivating contortionist whose flexibility is as impressive as her steadfast poise! An agile, adept acrobat and her strapping suitors! A swaying wire act of sure-footed strength and stability! The dizzying delights of a daring inventor in his tumbling, twirling hoop! The stunning, soaring beauty of a pair on aerial straps and a woman held aloft by hanging silks! A jaw-dropping juggling tango team performing to passionate rhythms! Bicyclists whose spinning wheels turn smooth and speedy stunts! Majestic horses with graceful gaits and playful pups with teasing tricks! And what circus would be complete without bumbling clowns who bring the spirit of timeless comedy?! It’s all led by an affable Ringmaster and the great Big Apple Circus Band playing the iconic songs of yesteryear! So run away with the Big Apple Circus and relive Big Tops of old in a memorable one-ring show for the ages!
Performers from around the world create joyful memories at the Big Apple Circus under the artistic direction of Guillaume Dufresnoy for the 2012–13 season show:
- From the US, the Acrobuffos, the husband-and-wife clown team, bring gales of laughter to the Big Apple Circus with their slapstick comedy! ?
- From Bulgaria, Andrey Mantchev takes to the skies in a solo trapeze act of mid-air flips and jaw-dropping catches! ?
- From China, the all-female Dalian Acrobatic Troupe performs perilous poses of superior synchronization on bicycles! ?
- From Canada, Daniel Cyr spirals and spins around the ring in a steel hoop of his own invention! ?
- From Russia, breathtaking duo Desire of Flight (Valeriy Sychev and Malvina Abakarova) defies gravity in soaring stunts on aerial straps! ?
- From Russia, Katerina is a lithe vision of grace wrapped and whirling in aerial silks! ?
- From Argentina, Elayne Kramer astounds with a backbone as flexible as an archer’s bow! ?
- From France and the Netherlands, Emily and Menno van Dyke combine the dramatic passion of tango with rhythmic juggling for a dance of flawless coordination! ?
- From the US, Jenny Vidbel exudes pure pride with her handsome horses, prancing ponies, and perky pups! ?
- From the US, John Kennedy Kane is a debonair ringmaster guiding you through the world of the circus! ?
- From Hungary, the Quinterion Troupe demonstrates unparalleled power as sculpted men flip, throw, and catch a fearless maiden! ?
- From China, Zhang Fan faces the ultimate test of balance, performing stunts of sheer strength on a swaying slack wire!
In his Big Apple Circus directing début is West Hyler who, along with Matt Williams as assistant director, presents an unforgettable show for all ages. John Lee Beatty, member of the Theater Hall of Fame, brings nearly four decades of New York experience as set designer. With a career spanning theatre, film, resorts, and dance, Mirena Rada returns with her stunning costume designs. Tony Award-winner Howell Binkley brings extensive experience and expertise as lighting designer. Five-time winner of the MAC Award for Technical Direction, JP Perreaux returns to the circus as sound designer. As always, the Big Apple Circus Band enthralls under the musical direction of maestro Rob Slowik.
just west of Francis Lewis Boulevard, in Fresh Meadows
Tickets for LEGENDARIUM start at $20 and are available by calling (888) 541-3750 or at bigapplecircus.org. The Circus Box Office located in front of the Big Top at Cunningham Park, will open Saturday, May 18th; hours are Tues–Fri, 10AM–8PM; Sat–Mon, 10AM–6PM. The Big Top is air–conditioned in warm weather! The show runs for just over 2 hours, including a 15 minute intermission. For groups of 15 people or more or for inquiries about wheelchair–accessible seating or for any additional information please call the Ticket Info Line at (800) 922-3772.
Directions to Cunningham Park
Cunningham Park Weather
- Queens Park Supervisor Goes "Beyond The Call"
- Coming Soon To Our Parks: Mountain Biking!
- AFTERSCHOOL STUDENTS CALL THE SHOTS
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Cricket Fields
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Hiking Trails
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in