Happy Land Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: Southern Boulevard and Tremont Avenue
- Architect: Steve de Noyer; Claire Dudley; José Antonio Velásquez
- Description: Obelisk and pedestal
- Materials: Rose granite (smooth honed)
- Dimensions: Obelisk H: 9'6" (?) W: 3' D: 3'; Pedestal H: 1'3" W: 5' D: 5'
- Cast: ca. 1995
- Dedicated: June 17, 1995
- Fabricator: A. Ottavino Corp.
- Inscription: IN MEMORY / OF THE / 87 MEN AND WOMEN / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES / IN THE / HAPPY LAND / SOCIAL CLUB FIRE / AT 1959 SOUTHERN BLVD. / WEST OF THIS SITE / ON MARCH 25, 1990 / DEDICATED 1995 / MAY THEY ALL BE HAPPY IN ETERNITY / ALTHOUGH WE CANNOT SEE THEM / FOREVER THEY WILL BE / A BEAUTIFUL PART OF OUR HEARTS' MEMORY / [87 NAMES]
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143