The neighborhood of Carroll Gardens was created during the 1960s, when the area was cut off from the rest of Red Hook by the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. It is named after Charles Carroll, a Revolutionary War veteran and the only Roman Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence. The gardens that lend their name stem from the unusually large yards that front the brownstones lining the neighborhood's streets. This was a result of a plan drawn up in 1846 by the land surveyor Richard Butt. The large yards meant that the streets were generally narrow and one-way, keeping the neighborhood quiet and residential. Part of the neighborhood has been landmarked as a historic district.