Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: Near Broadway, under a tree, west side of City Hall Building
- Sculptor: Albert Weinert
- Description: Marker and flagstaff
- Materials: Gray granite
- Dimensions: H: 1'10" W: 3'
- Dedicated: June 14, 1921
- Donor: Sons of the Revolution and the New York Historical Society
- Inscription: HERE IN THE ANCIENT COMMONS OF OUR CITY / WHERE, BEFORE THE TIME
OF OUR NATIONAL / INDEPENDENCE, / FIVE LIBERTY POLES WERE/
SUCCESSIVELY SET UP, THIS FLAGPOLE OF 1921 / IS PLACED IN GRATEFUL
REMEMBRANCE OF ALL / LOVERS OF OUR COUNTRY WHO HAVE DIED THAT / THE
LIBERTY WON ON THESE SHORES MIGHT BE / THE HERITAGE OF THE WORLD.
HERE THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE WAS READ TO WASHINGTON'S
ARMY JULY 9, 1776.
THIS IS A REPLICA OF THE LAST LIBERTY POLE
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143