Back to Monuments List
Declaration of Independence Plaque
Click image for larger view
- Location: On right side of driveway at Broadway entrance to City Hall
- Description: Plaque on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, gray granite
- Dimensions: H: 2'1" W: 3'
- Cast: 1892
- Dedicated: 1892
- Foundry: H. Berger Sons
- Donor: Sons of the Revolution
- Inscription: NEAR THIS SPOT IN THE PRESENCE OF / GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON / THE DECLARATION OF / INDEPENDENCE / WAS READ AND / PUBLISHED / TO THE / AMERICAN ARMY / JULY 9, 1776 [---] ERECTED BY / SONS OF THE REVOLUTION 1776-1782.
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143