Vincent Ciccarone Playground is one of nine New York City Parks & Recreation playgrounds opened on July 15, 1934. They were built using a $250,000 War Memorial Fund that had been established in 1921 by the New York City Police Department. By 1934 the fund--never spent--had grown in value to $350,000. Commissioner Robert Moses, seeking additional open spaces for children, obtained a legal ruling permitting use of the fund for playground development. The ruling mandated that each property honor the memory of a soldier who gave his life in combat by name, and that it be accompanied by a commemorative tablet.
Directions to Ciccarone Park
- Cutting The Ribbon On Ciccarone Playground
- Parks Cuts Ribbon On Ciccarone Playground
- Mayor Bloomberg Breaks Ground At Ciccarone Playground