Click image for larger view
- Location: Castle Hill Avenue, Watson Avenue, Cross Bronx Expressway
- Description: Eternal light on round stele
- Materials: 4
- Dimensions: Stele H: 8' D: 5'; Light H: 2'
- Fabricator: Lavery Granite Co.
- Donor: Public subscription, People of Unionport
- Inscription: THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED / AS A TOKEN OF ESTEEM TO THE / MEN AND WOMEN OF UNIONPORT / WHO SO NOBLY RESPONDED TO / THEIR COUNTRY'S CALL IN THE / WORLD WAR OF / 1914-1918. / TO MAKE THE WORLD SAFE FOR / DEMOCRACY AND WHO THROUGH / GOD'S MERCY WERE SAFELY / RETURNED TO US / IT IS ESPECIALLY DEDICATED TO THE / MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES FOR THIS GREAT CAUSE. / WILLIAM A AGNEW / EDWARD BOERA / JOSEPH J. DALY / GEORGE P. ESSENWANGER / HARRY HOFFMEISTER / CHARLES C. JABURECK / WILLIAM LEMMON / CHARLES A. LINDBLOM / JOHN C. NEWMAN / WILLIAM S. REARDON / GEORGE J. SCHNEIDER / WALTER SOFFEL / THAT THEIR NAMES MAY LIVE / WITH THEIR VALOR. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143