“The Triborough Bridge is not merely a road for automobiles and trucks, but a general city improvement, reclaiming dead area and providing for residence along its borders, esplanades, play facilities, landscaping and access to great new parks.” -Robert Moses, 1936
This park honors the memory of Peter Chappetto, an Astoria resident who was killed in action during World War II. When Robert Moses (1888-1981) took control of the Triborough Bridge Authority in 1934, he had envisioned a series of parks with play facilities and landscaping surrounding the bridge approaches. This square is just one of the seven that constituted the Triborough Bridge Playgrounds. The remaining six parks and playgrounds on Hoyt Avenue North and Hoyt Avenue South, between 21st and 26th Streets, continue to be known as the Triborough Bridge Playgrounds.