Vendors Showcase A Variety Of Specialty Foods At The “Taste Of Parks”FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Parks & Recreation Commissioner Adrian Benepe today joined Executive Director of the Food Vendors Committee of Red Hook Park, Cesar Fuentes to welcome 15 of Parks’ specialty food vendors from around the boroughs and celebrate their award-winning goods.
“New York City parks are as diverse as the people who use them, and we are expanding our culinary offerings to also reflect the varied palates of our visitors,” said Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe. “New Yorkers can sample even more food from around the world from delicious dosas, tasty tacos, scrumptious sandwiches, mouth-watering waffles and more, just by visiting their favorite City parks.”
Since 2008, the Parks Department has worked to attract an array of high quality, healthy and diverse food vendors to whet New York City’s diverse palate. The goal was to reach vendors with big ideas, a mission to redefine street food and grow businesses from one shop or cart to an army of many.
New specialty units on-site included Kelvin Slush Co., who will serve up ice cold delights from Little Red Square in Manhattan, and Eddie’s Pizza Truck which will soon serve pizza and more at Duane Square and Richard Tucker Square in Manhattan. Food Freaks will offer artisan grilled cheeses at Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn. In the Bronx, People’s Choice Mobile Kitchen will provide traditional West Indian cuisine at Pelham Parkway in front of Jacobi Medical Center.
Last month, Parks announced the opening of new concessionaire at Rockaway Beach last month. Beachgoers can enjoy food from numerous popular restaurants including Rockaway Taco and Caracas Arepa Bar. Many assorted pushcarts will also be located along the boardwalk at locations to be determined.
Parks continues to look for new food carts and locations are available at City parks in all five boroughs. Interested vendors should visit www.nyc.gov/parks, keyword: concessions, to learn more about opportunities and patrons are welcome to suggest ideas and locations. To watch an episode of It’s My Park on the Red Hook vendors please visit: http://youtu.be/YxL5MzKIt9g.
Vendors who were featured at Taste of Parks:
· Food Freaks – soon to be serving artisan grilled cheeses at Fort Greene Park, Brooklyn. Find them on twitter @foodfreaksGC
· Desi Food Truck – soon to be serving Indian food at Soho Square, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @desifoodtruck
· Ladle of Love – serving soups, salads, sandwiches and more at Tavern on the Green, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @ladletavern
· Coolhaus – soon to be serving artisanal ice cream sandwiches at Central Park West and 80th St, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @coolhausNY
· Kelvin Natural Slush Co. – soon to be serving premium all natural slush at Little Red Square, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @ kelvinslush 2010 Vendy Dessert Winner· Eddie’s Pizza Truck – soon to be serving pizza and more at Duane Square and Richard Tucker Square, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @eddiespizzany
· Je and Jo Comestibles – soon to be serving super premium ice cream made in NYC from locally sourced organic dairy and all natural ingredients at Bleecker Playground, Manhattan. Find them on twitter at @jeandjoicecream
· Pullcart – soon to be serving locally sourced sandwiches, sides, and beverages including beer and wine at Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @fattysnacknyc· Good to Go Organics – serving organic hot dogs and more on the East Drive and Center Drive in Central Park, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @gtgorganics
· Sigmund Pretzelshop - serving handmade soft pretzels, pretzeldogs and pretzelsandwiches in front of the Metropolitan Museum and at Bowling Green, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @sigmundpretzel
and on facebook @ Sigmund Pretzel Shop
· Rouge Tomate – soon to be serving seasonal and local ingredients in sandwiches as a healthy alternative to the traditional snacks found in Central Park. Find them on twitter @rougetomatecart
· Cake and Shake - serving 100% organic cup cakes and milk shakes at the Met Steps, Manhattan. Find them on twitter @cakeandshake
· Country Boys - serving traditional foods like sopes, chalupas, quesadillas, tacos, and huaraches at Red Hook Park, Brooklyn. Find them at www.redhookfoodvendors.com
· People’s Choice Mobile Kitchen – serving traditional West Indian cuisine at Pelham Parkway in front of Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx
· New York Dosa Cart – serving traditional vegan Indian food at Washington Square Park, Manhattan 2007 Vendy Cup Winner
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
As of April 27, Central Park's Bow Bridge is closed to the public for structural work and a fresh coat of paint. The work is expected to last three to four months. Removing the old paint will require wrapping the bridge in a tent-like structure to prevent debris from falling into the water. Along with repainting, the work will include replacing the wooden decking, fixing several beams on the underside of the span, and reinforcing approaches at either end.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Starting June 29, 2015, Central Park Drives north of 72nd Street will be permanently car-free. For more information, please visit on.nyc.gov/1MOAh40.
Central Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates A Decade Since Unveiling The Gates In Central Park, Looks Forward To Art In Parks In 2015
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- Exhibition: Living Landmarks
- Exhibition: Living Landmarks
- Central Park Tour: Northern Forts
- Exhibition: Living Landmarks
- Central Park Tour: Belvedere's Kingdom
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in