This bronze portrait bust of Italian patriot Giuseppe Mazzini (1805–1872) was created by Italian-born sculptor Giovanni Turini (1841–1899). Located in Central Park along the West Drive at 67th Street, the piece was donated by a group of Italian-Americans and unveiled in 1878.
Mazzini was born in Genoa, Italy. Trained as a lawyer, he worked for the unification of Italy during the mid-19th century, organizing uprisings and influencing political opinion even while in exile. Mazzini helped to found the Giovine Italia (“young Italy”) movement, which attracted likeminded patriots such as Giuseppe Garibaldi, who is honored with a sculpture by Turini that was installed in Manhattan’s Washington Square Park in 1888. It is said that 80,000 people attended Mazzini’s funeral in Pisa in 1872.
Two phrases describing Mazzini’s philosophy, ,i>Dio E Il Populo (“God and the people”) and Pensiero Ed Azione (“thought and action”), are inscribed on the granite pedestal. Pensiero Ed Azione is also the name of a publication Mazzini founded in London in 1858. In 1994 the Central Park Conservancy restored and cleaned the Mazzini sculpture.
Giuseppe Mazzini Details
- Location: West Drive opposite 62nd St.
- Sculptor: Giovanni Turini
- Architect: F. Matriati
- Description: Portrait bust on pedestal
- Materials: Bronze, Westerly granite
- Dimensions: H: 14'1" W: 3'10" D: 3'10"
- Dedicated: 1878
- Foundry: G. Fisher & Bros Brnz Works
- Fabricator: F. Malnati, Woodlawn, NY
- Donor: Italians in the United States of America
- Inscription: FRONT: GUISEPPE MAZZINI
RGHT: DIO E IL POPULO
LFT: PENSIERO ED AZIONE
REAR: PRESENTED / TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY THE ITALIANS / IN THE
U.S. OF AMERICA / 1878
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
As of April 27, Central Park's Bow Bridge is closed to the public for structural work and a fresh coat of paint. The work is expected to last three to four months. Removing the old paint will require wrapping the bridge in a tent-like structure to prevent debris from falling into the water. Along with repainting, the work will include replacing the wooden decking, fixing several beams on the underside of the span, and reinforcing approaches at either end.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Starting June 29, 2015, Central Park Drives north of 72nd Street will be permanently car-free. For more information, please visit on.nyc.gov/1MOAh40.
Central Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates A Decade Since Unveiling The Gates In Central Park, Looks Forward To Art In Parks In 2015
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- Exhibition: Living Landmarks
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Tour: Northern Welcome Tour
- Shakespeare in the Park: Cymbeline
- Summer Streets
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in