This bronze group sculpture depicting two figures in a rowboat commemorates philanthropists Carl and Adeline Loeb, who donated the Loeb Boathouse. Artist Irwin Glusker sculpted the block-like piece, which features a cross-section of deep water looming underneath two seemingly unsuspecting boaters. The piece was dedicated in 1968 and sits on the terrace in front of the boathouse
In 1953, the Loebs donated the neo-classical brick boathouse at Central Park’s Conservatory Water near 74th Street, which replaced an 1873 building by Central Park co-designer Calvert Vaux (1824–1895). When the boathouse was renovated in 1968, the sculpture was installed to honor the Loebs. The sculpture was originally installed on a concrete base before it was replaced in 1980 with a more durable granite pedestal.
The Rowers Details
- Location: Terrace in front of Loeb Boathouse; East Drive at 75th St.
- Sculptor: Irwin Glusker
- Description: Group of two figures on integral plinth on pedestal, with plaque
- Materials: Group and plinth--bronze; original pedestal--concrete; replacement pedestal--black granite (polished)
- Dimensions: Group H: 9½" W: 1'3½" D: 9½"; Plinth H: 3' W: 2' D: 2'; Pedestal H: 9" W:2' D: 2'
- Cast: 1968
- Dedicated: Spring 1968
- Foundry: Roman Bronze Works, Inc.
- Donor: DPR
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
East 72nd St Playground
The East 72nd St Playground is closed for construction. It will reopen this summer. Central Park Conservancy is renovating the playground to improve its accessibility and connection to the park's landscape. Please visit the Central Park Conservancyfor more information.
As of April 27, Central Park's Bow Bridge is closed to the public for structural work and a fresh coat of paint. The work is expected to last three to four months. Removing the old paint will require wrapping the bridge in a tent-like structure to prevent debris from falling into the water. Along with repainting, the work will include replacing the wooden decking, fixing several beams on the underside of the span, and reinforcing approaches at either end.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Central Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates A Decade Since Unveiling The Gates In Central Park, Looks Forward To Art In Parks In 2015
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- Exhibition: Mariella Bisson: Sunlight, Water and Gravity
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Drifting in Daylight
- Central Park Tour: Belvedere's Kingdom
- It's My Park Under the Urban Tree Canopy
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in