- Location: East 65th Street
- Sculptor: Paul Howard Manship
- Architect: Aymar Embury II; Edward Coe Embury
- Description: Three pylons surmounted by ornamental crest with children, animal, and bird figures; three plaques
- Materials: Pylons--Swenson green granite; Crest and plaques--bronze; inscription--gilded
- Dimensions: Center pylon H: 8'10" W: 6' D: 2'; Proper right pylon H: 8'8" W: 2' D: 2'; Proper left pylon H: 8'10" W: 2' D: 2'; Center plaque H: 3' W: 4'; Each side plaque H: 1' W: 1'6"
- Cast: 1961
- Dedicated: 1997
- Donor: Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman (original gate); Families of Laurence A. Tisch and Preston R. Tisch (three plaques)
- Inscription: 1) center pylon: "CHILDREN'S / ZOO / [originally followed by:] GIFT TO THE CHILDREN OF THE CITY / OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY / GOVERNOR & MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / 1960"
2) plaque, center pylon: "TISCH CHILDREN'S ZOO / MADE POSSIBLE BY / THE FAMILIES OF / LAURENCE A. TISCH / AND / PRESTON R. TISCH / FOR THE DELIGHT AND EDUCATION / OF THE CHILDREN OF NEW YORK / 1997"
3) plaque, poper right pylon: "THE FIRST CHILDREN'S ZOO / WAS GIVEN TO THE / CHILDREN OF THE CITY OF NEW YPRK / IN 1960 BY / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN"
4) plaque, proper left pylon: "THE GATEWAY SCULPTURE / BY PAUL MANSHIP / (1885-1966) / WAS A GIFT OF / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / TO COMMEMORATE THEIR / 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY"
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
Lasker Rink (Temporarily Closed)
Lasker Rink is closed due to a refrigeration malfunction. Parks is trying to repair the rink's concrete slab and valves to identify and fix the source of the leak, in the hope of reopening the rink to the public later this season.
In the meantime, the Trump Organization along with NYC Parks will work with the community and other area rinks to try to accommodate hockey and skating groups who call Lasker Rink home. Refunds will also be issued to any organizations who reserved and paid for use of the rink during the time that it will be closed.
Central Park Weather
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- More Than 30,000 New Yorkers Celebrate The Outdoors At Tenth Anniversary Of Adventures NYC
- Central Park Tour: West Side Stories
- Central Park Tour: North Woods
- Open Hours: Hallett Nature Sanctuary
- Central Park Tour: Heart of the Park
- Health and Race Walking
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in