- Location: East 65th Street
- Sculptor: Paul Howard Manship
- Architect: Aymar Embury II; Edward Coe Embury
- Description: Three pylons surmounted by ornamental crest with children, animal, and bird figures; three plaques
- Materials: Pylons--Swenson green granite; Crest and plaques--bronze; inscription--gilded
- Dimensions: Center pylon H: 8'10" W: 6' D: 2'; Proper right pylon H: 8'8" W: 2' D: 2'; Proper left pylon H: 8'10" W: 2' D: 2'; Center plaque H: 3' W: 4'; Each side plaque H: 1' W: 1'6"
- Cast: 1961
- Dedicated: 1997
- Donor: Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman (original gate); Families of Laurence A. Tisch and Preston R. Tisch (three plaques)
- Inscription: 1) center pylon: "CHILDREN'S / ZOO / [originally followed by:] GIFT TO THE CHILDREN OF THE CITY / OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / BY / GOVERNOR & MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / 1960"
2) plaque, center pylon: "TISCH CHILDREN'S ZOO / MADE POSSIBLE BY / THE FAMILIES OF / LAURENCE A. TISCH / AND / PRESTON R. TISCH / FOR THE DELIGHT AND EDUCATION / OF THE CHILDREN OF NEW YORK / 1997"
3) plaque, poper right pylon: "THE FIRST CHILDREN'S ZOO / WAS GIVEN TO THE / CHILDREN OF THE CITY OF NEW YPRK / IN 1960 BY / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN"
4) plaque, proper left pylon: "THE GATEWAY SCULPTURE / BY PAUL MANSHIP / (1885-1966) / WAS A GIFT OF / GOVERNOR AND MRS. HERBERT H. LEHMAN / TO COMMEMORATE THEIR / 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY"
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
East 72nd St Playground
The East 72nd St Playground is closed for construction. It will reopen this summer. Central Park Conservancy is renovating the playground to improve its accessibility and connection to the park's landscape. Please visit the Central Park Conservancyfor more information.
As of April 27, Central Park's Bow Bridge is closed to the public for structural work and a fresh coat of paint. The work is expected to last three to four months. Removing the old paint will require wrapping the bridge in a tent-like structure to prevent debris from falling into the water. Along with repainting, the work will include replacing the wooden decking, fixing several beams on the underside of the span, and reinforcing approaches at either end.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Central Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates A Decade Since Unveiling The Gates In Central Park, Looks Forward To Art In Parks In 2015
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- Central Park Tour: Heart of the Park
- Central Park Tour: Conservatory Garden
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Exhibition Opening - Mariella Bisson: Sunlight, Water and Gravity
- Exhibition: Mariella Bisson: Sunlight, Water and Gravity
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in