- Location: North end of Mall
- Architect: Tachau and Vaught
- Description: Bandshell, mounted plaque
- Materials: Bandshell exterior--Indiana limestone; Bandshell interior--cast stone; Plaque--bronze
- Dimensions: Bandshell H: 42' W: 60' D: 33'; Plaque H: 10" W: 1'4½"
- Cast: 1923
- Dedicated: 1923
- Donor: Elkan Naumburg
- Inscription: 1) front of stage: "PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK / AND ITS MUSIC LOVERS / BY / ELKAN NAUMBURG, 1923"
2) plaque: "IN MEMORY OF / ELKAN NAUMBURG / WHO INAUGURATED ORCHESTRAL / CONCERTS IN THE OLD BAND STAND / ON THE MALL 50 YEARS AGO AND / DONATED THIS STAND IN 1923 /---/ MAY 30, 1955"
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
East 72nd St Playground
The East 72nd St Playground is closed for construction. It will reopen this summer. Central Park Conservancy is renovating the playground to improve its accessibility and connection to the park's landscape. Please visit the Central Park Conservancyfor more information.
As of April 27, Central Park's Bow Bridge is closed to the public for structural work and a fresh coat of paint. The work is expected to last three to four months. Removing the old paint will require wrapping the bridge in a tent-like structure to prevent debris from falling into the water. Along with repainting, the work will include replacing the wooden decking, fixing several beams on the underside of the span, and reinforcing approaches at either end.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Central Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates A Decade Since Unveiling The Gates In Central Park, Looks Forward To Art In Parks In 2015
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- It's My Park Under the Urban Tree Canopy
- Central Park Tour: Hallett Nature Sanctuary and the Pond
- Central Park Tour: Conservatory Garden
- Drifting in Daylight
- Central Park Tour: Mid-Park Welcome Tour
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in