Located just north of Engineer’s Gate at 91st Street and Fifth Avenue, this bronze bas-relief remembers British journalist William T. Stead (1849–1912), who perished along with over 1,500 others when the RMS Titanic sank on April 15, 1912. This piece is a replica of a work by British sculptor George James Frampton (1860–1928) whose original is set into a wall along London’s Embankment promenade on the Thames River. The American version, located at Fifth Avenue at 91st Street, is set into the wall of Central Park.
Stead was a well-known journalist who founded the Review of Reviews publication in 1890. He bravely distinguished himself by helping others at the expense of his own life while the Titanic sank into the depths of the North Atlantic. A memorial was erected in London in 1913 following the tragedy. New Yorkers dedicated a copy on July 5, 1920, in this limestone setting designed by the architectural firm of Carrère and Hastings.
Two allegorical figures flank the inscription, a knight representing Fortitude and an angel figure representing Sympathy. The knight was stolen in the 1930s and resculpted in 1936. In 1996 the Central Park Conservancy restored the monument and replaced the missing features.
William T. Stead Memorial Details
- Location: Fifth Avenue at 91st Street, against park wall
- Sculptor: George William Frampton
- Architect: Carrere and Hastings
- Description: Bas-relief plaque on stele: plaque has enframed bust in profile facing proper left, festoons of foliage above and beside frame; standing figures, knight and angel (reduced size), support inscription
- Materials: Bronze, Indiana limestone
- Dimensions: Plaque H: 4' W: 5'; stele H: 7'2" W: 6'
- Cast: 1920
- Dedicated: July 5, 1920
- Donor: Committee of the American Stead Memorial
- Inscription: W.T. STEAD / 1849 --- 1912 / THIS TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY OF A / JOURNALIST OF WORLDWIDE RENOWN IS / ERECTED BY AMERICAN FRIENDS AND / ADMIRERS. HE MET DEATH ABOARD THE / TITANIC APRIL 15 1912 AND IS NUMBERED / AMONGST THOSE WHO DYING NOBLY / ENABLED OTHERS TO LIVE. / FINIS CORONAT OPUS. / FORTITUDE ---- SYMPATHY /
Directions to Central Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
As of April 27, Central Park's Bow Bridge is closed to the public for structural work and a fresh coat of paint. The work is expected to last three to four months. Removing the old paint will require wrapping the bridge in a tent-like structure to prevent debris from falling into the water. Along with repainting, the work will include replacing the wooden decking, fixing several beams on the underside of the span, and reinforcing approaches at either end.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2015
Starting June 29, 2015, Central Park Drives north of 72nd Street will be permanently car-free. For more information, please visit on.nyc.gov/1MOAh40.
Central Park Weather
- NYC Parks Celebrates A Decade Since Unveiling The Gates In Central Park, Looks Forward To Art In Parks In 2015
- This Weekend In Parks
- Tomorrow's World: The New York World's Fairs And Flushing Meadows Park On View At The Arsenal Gallery
- Exhibition: Living Landmarks
- Central Park Tour: Belvedere's Kingdom
- Shakespeare in the Park: Cymbeline
- Exhibition: Living Landmarks
- Central Park Tour: North Woods
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums
Know when to go:
View upcoming athletic area usage in