Seaview Ave. bet. Paerdegat Basin and E. 93 St., E. 102 St. and Fresh Creek Basin
Directions via Google Maps
Canarsie Park and neighborhood take their name from the Canarsie (or Canarsee) Indians, who lived in western Long Island and were related to the Delawares. They called this area Keskachauge or Kestateuw, but the Dutch renamed it New Amersfoort soon after they settled here in the 1630s. The Canarsie Indians probably had a burial ground on the current parkland.
In 1675 Jan Martense Schenck, a Dutch immigrant, built a house in the area of New Amersfoort, on Mill Island, within the current boundaries of the park. When the British took control of the territory, the land called New Amersfoort became the Flatlands. The house consisted of two rooms, and was built as a simple box of 20 feet by 40 feet, but the family expanded the house into an L-shaped plan containing eleven rooms. It is believed that the house was either entirely refurbished or rebuilt during the 1720s.
Directions to Canarsie Park
- NYC Parks Joins The National Park Service In Announcing New Bicycle And Kayak Rental Concession For Jamaica
- Canarsie Skate Park Unboxed After Major Renovations
- Carnasie Park Cricket Capital of North America
Canarsie Park Weather