Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Description: Plaque on plinth
- Materials: Granite, bronze
- Dimensions: H: 14" W: 18"
- Dedicated: July 27, 1982
- Fabricator: Duncan Long Inc.
- Donor: Paul O'Dwyer, Irish Institute of New York
- Inscription: FRANCIS MAKEMIE / NEAR THIS SITE IN 1707, FRANCIS MAKEMIE, / A NATIVE OF IRELAND AND FATHER OF AMERICAN PRESBYTERIANISM, / CHALLENGED THE EDICT OF LORD CORNBURY, GOVERNOR OF THE / COLONY, FORBIDDING HIM FROM PREACHING
HERE. THE SERVICES / HE CONDUCTED IN WILLIAM JACKSON'S HOME RESULTED IN HIS / BEING INDICTED FOR PREACHING A "PERNICIOUS DOCTRINE." / HIS SPIRITED COURT APPEARANCE RESULTED IN HIS ACQUITTAL. / IT WAS THE FIRST GREAT VICTORY HERE FOR / RELIGIOUS LIBERTY. / JULY 27, 1982 / IRISH INSTITUTE OF NEW YORK /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143